Monday, March 10, 2014

Saturdays were not meant to be this productive

I think the horrible drive back from Texas and almost getting arrested caught up with me about mid-week, y'all.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights I got home from work around 7:00, ate dinner and went to bed.  I am not a good sleeper and yet I slept from 8:30 or 9:00 until 6:30 the following morning on all of those nights.

Oh.  I did that on Saturday night too.

I still feel tired.  But I think I'm tired now from what I did on Saturday of this weekend and not the last one.  And I think this coming Saturday I need to knock it off having busy or crazy Saturdays.

I woke up early on Saturday morning because I was the party animal who went to bed at 8:30 on Friday night as though I am 102-years-old.  I lounged around in bed watching TV and finally decided to get up around 8:00.

By 10:30 a.m. I had eaten breakfast, made 6 chicken meals and put them in the freezer, had a 3 pound roast beef cooking away in the crock pot (I am SO excited about my lunch today because that roast beef is the bomb, ya'll), had about 6 quarts of taco soup cooked and cooling off to be frozen, and then by 11:00 I also had a big pot of pasta with tomato basil sauce done to eat on all week for dinner.  I hate cooking so much and I don't want to do it on a daily basis.  This will cover me for lunches and dinners for at least 2 weeks, and probably longer.  I try to bring my lunch to work every day because I work in Buckhead where you can't get cheap lunches out.  I can eat from home for a couple of bucks as opposed to the cheapest place I've found around my office which is a minimum of $8.50 for a sandwich and a drink with no sides.

If you want the recipes, here are the ones I made (look at y'all.....getting recipes from someone who doesn't know how to cook):

Balsamic Roast Beef


Taco Soup - I can't find a link online so here's what is in it:

2 lbs ground beef
One small or medium onion depending on how much you like onion
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 packet of ranch dip/dressing mix
2 cans of corn undrained
1 can of kidney beans undrained
1 can of pinto beans undrained
4 cans of stewed tomatoes

Brown the ground beef and onion.  Pour all of the other crap in the pot (I had about a cup of beef broth left over from the roast beef I had put in the crock pot so I threw it in the pot too.  I also put a couple of cloves of crushed garlic in there.).  Bring to a boil, then reduce and cook for about 30 minutes on medium.  Allow to cool completely, then put in freezer bags if you want to freeze it.  I'm not even a good cook and this was DELICIOUS.


Mexican Chicken - I can't find a link to this one online either.

Put frozen chicken breasts in a freezer bag (I had 6 breasts)
Pour a jar of salsa in the bag (I used a 24 oz jar I think)
Add 2 or 3 cloves of crushed garlic.

Stick it in the freezer.  When you get ready to bake it, take it out 24 hours ahead of time and put in the refrigerator.  As it thaws, it will marinate in the salsa.  Pour it all in a casserole dish and cook for 1.5 hours at 350 degrees.  When it comes out of the oven, cover it shredded cheese.  I can cook this on a Sunday and have dinner that night and for the entire work week ahead.  Oh the joys of living alone and not having to share!

A friend of my mom's brought the Mexican Chicken to her while I was out in Texas.  It was delicious so I got the recipe from her.  She also gave me the taco soup recipe but she didn't actually bring any of it to us, so hers probably would have been even better.

And here is the recipe for the One Pot Pasta I made.  I don't care for spinach so I left it out.  I have to be honest....this was not my favorite.  If I ever made it again I would add a whole bunch more seasonings or something because it was pretty bland to me.

Anyway, by noon I had enough meals made up for a long time and I had my kitchen cleaned so I decided if I sat down I wouldn't get anything else done because I was already a little tired if I'm being honest.

So I went outside and blew leaves, raked leaves, bagged up many bags of leaves, and then I decided to pressure wash the back of my house, my deck, and my deck furniture.

That all took me about 5 and a half hours and I went back in my house exhausted, sore and soaking wet.  I took a shower, ate some roast beef, got the roast beef put away, washed the crock pot, and then I was in bed AGAIN by 8:30.

I woke up in the middle of the night and had to pee because I drank about a gallon of water before I went to bed and I could barely walk to the bathroom I was so sore.  My feet almost made me cry.  My thighs and butt were screaming at me from bending and bagging up leaves.  My forearm muscles were pleading for mercy from using the pressure washer.

I found my plantar fasciitis sleeves and put them on before I got back in bed.

Yesterday morning I huffed and puffed, and grumbled and oohed and aahed and struggled and finally made it down the stairs.

I made a grilled blueberry/cream cheese sandwich (I only made a single sandwich and OMG it was SO GOOD that I wanted 10 more!) for breakfast as a treat and then slowly made my way to the sofa. Where I stayed for the entire day with a pillow, blanket and the remote.  I could barely manage to get up when I had to pee, I skipped lunch because I was too sore to move and get up to make anything, and I generally laid there feeling sorry for myself.

I did manage to make a sandwich for dinner and I took it out on my back deck so I could eat on my freshly cleaned table and enjoy the beautiful weather for a few minutes.

And now I will try to make it through the week from the stupid time change and will probably be in bed by 8:30 several nights again. 

My life.  So full of excitement.

8 comments:

  1. Those are great recipes. I totally understand the early to bed thing. All I've done for the past six days is mostly rest, several of those days I was unable to do anything, but yesterday I just totally relaxed all day, today I had to get up and get a few things done. We are still trying to get fallen trees up from the ice storm, but with the weather being so beautiful today it was worth the hard work just to be outside in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of cooking for one morning! I make the taco soup recipe (at least similar), too. Did you know it's a Weight Watchers recipe? The great thing about it is you can add or delete any beans, corn, whatever, and also make it with ground turkey. I usually use a can of Rotel to spice it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too make the taco soup. My family loves it. I also make the mexican chicken; however, I do it in my crockpot. Throw everything in first thing in the morning and it's done for dinner.
    You certainly accomplished more than I did this weekend. I blame it on my daughter being home. We sat together on the deck, getting our tan on, and supervised my poor husband raking and cutting and bagging and such. It's all her fault that I didn't get my lazy self up and help...... That's it..... I'm placing the blame squarely on her shoulders :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm worn out from your weekend! Holy cow, you were busy! I just pinned several of your recipes, will definitely give them a try! The blueberry grilled cheese sounds delish! I have made the taco soup, often. It's one of my grand daughter's favorites, she requested it for her birthday dinner! She's easy to please! Can't wait for warm weather so we can enjoy our porch!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never made taco soup but I have made lasagne soup. It sounds yummy. I just can't cook that much at once. If I freeze too much stuff it gets lost in my freezer forever and then I have this bag of freezer burned crap! I did however freeze all the pesto I made last summer and I just used the last if it. Must grow more basil! Oh, and the key lime juice from my tree. Which, snif, I hope comes back after this stupid winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, must get cream cheese. That sounded awesome. More of a dessert for me. But I was wondering about dipping it in a French toast mixture. Like a stuffed French toast! How does that sound? Too much?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipes, Beverly! I, too, am exhausted from your crazy busy day. Why don't you let me rest for you while you continue being busy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those blueberry/cream cheese sandwiches sound fab!

    ReplyDelete