Monday, June 3, 2013

My finger is getting quite the workout and should be in excellent shape soon.

Do y'all want to play Music Monday again?  We'll start back today but I'll get to it in a bit.

Lemme tell y'all about my exciting weekend first.  Okay, let me tell you about my pretty normal and not very interesting weekend.  Because it wasn't really all that exciting.

Well, let's not do that first.  Let's talk about something else for a minute.

Why no, I've never been diagnosed with ADHD.  Why would you even wonder such a thing?

FIRST, let's talk about this:  how do you parents do this for years and years and years?  These are not even my kids and they're grown enough that I don't have to change diapers or anything like that (they're 18 and 21 - I don't need to change diapers, right?  'Cause I haven't been doing that but I'm brand new at parenting) but I'm completely exhausted y'all!  And why are kids so damned messy?  I now totally understand when people say they can't have nice things because they have kids.  Between the two temporary kids I have and a geriatric cat with stomach issues, I feel like I clean every single second I'm not at work or asleep.  Or in physical therapy.  Or at the chiropractor.  Or driving the kids to Target or Walmart or the grocery store or to drop them off at the train station or to pick them up at the train station or to take them to church or to take them to a job interview.  My word.  How do y'all do this and not give them away after a little while?  I've only been doing it for 5.5 weeks and I feel like I need an entire year of solitude and vacation.

They bought a car.  But they haven't gotten it insured or registered yet.  And the girl has been waiting on her international drivers license which I never knew existed until I called around to find out what they have to do and what documentation they need to get a license here.  One day last week while I was at work they decided to go get groceries which I appreciate, but they drove their car to the store.  With no valid license.  No insurance.  And no registration.  Oh I yelled.  I waved my finger in their faces (that's a parent thing I should be doing a lot of, right?).  And I told them if they get arrested I will let their butts sit in jail and rot there because I can't afford to bail them out.  And I told them to enjoy their flight back to Brazil when they get deported.  (That's something y'all probably can't use to threaten your kids but I'm using it to my advantage.  See?  I'm learning this parenting thing rather quickly!)  Actually, we all kind of got a big laugh out of it and they thought I was hilarious when I was yelling at them and telling them they would get arrested and I'd leave them in jail and that they'd probably get deported.  But they got the message.  They won't drive the car again until it's legal.

They actually are really good kids, but they are keeping me busy, busy, busy (I put that in on the off chance June is reading so she can love me).  And I was already busy, busy, busy enough on my own.  What are some good vitamins for energy?  Because I need to swallow them by the truckload every morning.

So our weekend was not the most exciting.  I had physical therapy after work on Friday night because I know how to have a good time.  Unfortunately, she said I should not have stopped wearing my splint/brace thing all cold turkey like I did even though my doctor told me I could, but she bartered with me.  I don't have to wear it while I'm working so that I can type, but I have to wear it all of the other time.  Like when I'm driving those kids all over Atlanta.  And wagging my finger in their faces and yelling and threatening them with deportation.

After PT, I went for an hour of solitude and got a pedicure.  And I didn't fall down afterwards and break anything.  A girl came in the salon 15 minutes after they officially closed (I was done but sitting there waiting for my toes to dry and they were still finishing up a lot of other people).  They agreed to take her for a mani and pedi even though they were closed and where do you think they had her sit?  Right beside me.  That's how I came to hear her getting all snippy with the girl who was starting on her pedi by telling her to go find someone to start her mani RIGHT NOW because she needed to be somewhere and they were taking too long.  I got up and left at that point so that I didn't punch her in her junk and get put in jail where I would rot for a while and then get deported to Brazil.  (I think jail threats should be fair and work both ways between temporary parents and temporary children.)

My female child has a job as a nanny and she had to work on Saturday.  So my male child and I cleaned.  ALL DAY because kids make houses messy.  Were y'all all aware of this?  I spent almost half the day just on my kitchen.  They cook but let's just say they are not the neatest cooks on planet earth.  And I appreciate them emptying the dishwasher (after some finger wagging on my part and me explaining to them that I didn't actually give birth to them, that I'm giving them a free place to stay, and that they are not paying me to be their maid), etc. but I'm constantly trying to figure out where they have put stuff so I went through cabinets putting things back where they belong and I completely straightened the pantry because they just throw everything on one shelf all on top of everything else and it was MAKING ME BATSHIT CRAZY.  Especially since my pantry has a french door so you can't hide it when it's messy.

So we cleaned all day. 

On Sunday I went to a brunch baby shower.  One of my bosses and his wife are expecting their first baby at the end of the month.  So I went and hung out at a baby shower with a whole bunch of attorneys and their spouses.  It was fun since I don't spend all day every day hanging out with attorneys or anything.

Then I came home and had a headache so I laid down for 45 minutes.  The kids and I went to church last night.  The church gave us free popsicles to celebrate the beginning of summer because I go to a super cool church.  They are from a gourmet popsicle maker called King of Pops and the kids missed the part on the sign that said the chocolate ones had sea salt in them.  And boy were they surprised when they bit into their pops.  The girl child (I have to come up with better blog names for them) liked it after she ate for a while and got used to it.  The boy child hated it.  Apparently Brazilians do not mix chocolate and salt.  Because they are not as cool as us.

Then we went out for bar-b-q because I've been craving it for about 3 weeks (no I'm not pregnant.  I get my children when they are grown already.  Are you paying attention at all?)

So yeah.  That was the exciting weekend.

Let's get to Music Monday now!  This week's theme is as follows:  The songs you submit must be related to parenting.  I have a couple in mind already but let's see what y'all can come up with.

10 comments:

  1. I almost can't bring myself to do this because I hate this song with a white hot passion, but here goes:

    Having my baby by that idiot Paul Anka

    Hot Rod Lincoln

    and in a serious note, the song I always dedicate to my son:

    Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Saint Beverly,
    I have to look up songs because I don't know them off the top of my head like June does, but here goes:

    Teach Your Children Well, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

    Beautiful Boy, John Lennon

    Cats in The Cradle - Harry Chapin

    In My Daughter’s Eyes, Martina McBride

    Father and Daughter, Paul Simon

    Tough Little Boys, Gary Allen

    Wild World, Cat Stevens

    Baby Mine, Alison Kraus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast-Wayne Newton
    Daddy's Hands-The Judds
    Papa Was a Rolling Stone-The Temptations
    I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus-Jimmy Boyd
    Oh My Papa-Eddie Fisher
    Father and Son-Cat Stevens
    Mama Told Me Not to Come-Three Dog Night

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast-Wayne Newton
    Daddy's Hands-The Judds
    Papa Was a Rolling Stone-The Temptations
    I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus-Jimmy Boyd
    Oh My Papa-Eddie Fisher
    Father and Son-Cat Stevens
    Mama Told Me Not to Come-Three Dog Night

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are cracking me up. I am laughing so hard, especially about the pantry with the french door. Sounds like me. Oh, oh, oh, I so understand about shaking the finger in the face about driving illegal.

    You have a heart of gold to keep HBs kids.

    Hey, I'm like Sadie, I have to look up songs, so here's mine:

    Don't Tell Mama I'm Drinking

    By the way, you ask about a party in Atlanta for the Pie Peeps. Yeah, maybe June can make her birthday party this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big question is whether or not Saint Beverly will still have her foster kids in July.

      Delete
  6. Dear Beverly,
    Kids, even big kids, create a mess.
    Kids of all ages are expensive.
    Kids of all ages are exhausting.
    Many of them will not leave home until you kick them out.
    Good luck,
    PJ

    ReplyDelete