Monday, August 6, 2018

Tap. Tap. Is this thing on?

Oh hi.  I'm back after almost 4 years.

First of all, I need your opinions.  I know Blogger is kind of like the anchovy of pizza toppings - a few people still like it but it's pretty old school with very few things you can customize.  I'm thinking about changing to a different platform/company/whatever you call it.  Do y'all recommend Wordpress?  I've looked online and that seems to be what is recommended.  But I have to pay for it so I want to see if anyone has better suggestions before I switch and put my money into something.  Keep in mind that technology is not my thang, so if it requires a lot of technical expertise it's probably not for me. 

The main thing I'd really like to be able to do is set it up so I can have people request to subscribe and not have it open for anyone in the world to see.  I saw what June went through with people finding her blog.  I had a different blog years ago that someone in my real life found and she started leaving anonymous comments about my appearance that were quite hurtful.  It was all because she had a falling out with a mutual friend who ended up having to go to the police because this girl was leaving the mutual friend threatening voice mails.  It was really ugly and while she and I had never had any issues, she decided to find me online and start attacking me because I remained friends with the mutual person.  I had absolutely nothing to do with their fight - it was all a business thing gone bad between them.  I'd really like to avoid having something like that happen again so I want to secure things a little bit and that doesn't seem to be an option here on Blogger. 

Since some of you may be new and know next to nothing about me, I'll tell y'all a little bit about myself. 

I've lived in Atlanta my entire life.  I'll be 50 in less than two weeks (how did that happen?).  I have two brothers - one older, one younger.  Both of my biological parents are deceased.  My mom died a couple of weeks after I turned 5 and my dad was remarried 9 months later before I turned 6.  The week after my 44th birthday my dad died.  So hey, my birthday brings up super happy anniversaries, right?  My mom who raised me is still alive.  I work at a law firm and have been a legal assistant for 18 years.  I was once married to my high school sweetheart (who was anything but a sweetheart after a number of  years and instead became an alcoholic, bi-polar, emotional abusing asshole) and I've been divorced for 14 years.  I had an 8 year relationship after that with a Brazilian guy and that's a long story for another day (a few of you already know that story).  I had another 2 year relationship which I ended last summer, but I don't want to talk about that one particularly. 

Now I'm single and dating.  And I have stories.  So many stories.  But I don't want people to be able to find them, so I really need to move things somewhere else before I share them. 

I know, this is a boring post.  They won't all be. 



But for now, I just need to know if Wordpress is the way to go. 

17 comments:

  1. You can set it so that you moderate all comments. They go through you before you allow them to post. Kind of a pain in the ass, but it works.
    I am so happy to see you here!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that option. But I'd really like to set it up where people can't even read the posts unless they subscribe or whatever. Do you know if that's possible on here? I couldn't find an option for it and I googled fucking it and everything seemed to say you can't do that on Blogger.

      Delete
  2. Beverly, I use WordPress and I have found it to be the best one for easy blog maintenance and for changing the appearance of the site without any hassles.

    I am looking forward to reading your blog and getting to know you. Best of luck with the switch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI! I have no idea about platforms but so glad you are writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do have the moderation aspect. Can't recall if you can make your blog private or not. It's pretty easy to use. Happy you're back at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m happy to read you anywhere you are! If you stay here I’m going to find out how to change my thousand year old avatar picture, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea which platform has what features, but please do whatever makes you feel safe. Boring? Nope, not at all. I love your last post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So so happy to have a blog to read! I didn’t find it boring at all. Other people’s lives are fascinating. I miss the days of blogs being popular!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use Wordpress for websites and for blogging. They have excellent support, fun free themes, and you can have a free account. And yes, you can lock it down and only people you specifically invite can see your posts. Sign me up! nevadanerd(at)yahoo(dot)com. I read you before and I'll read you again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep blogging please, wherever is best for you. So far, so great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is this helpful? https://smallbusiness.chron.com/password-protect-blogger-78985.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know nothing at all about blogging, but I just wanted to say this isn't boring at all. I can't wait to read your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you are blogging again! I will be following you...all over the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to start reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to start reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete