Thursday, May 24, 2012

So, here we are....the new gathering spot for fans of Bye Bye Pie.  And some others may join us because I'm going to let some people who used to follow my old blog know about this new place.  In a tribute to our beloved June Gardens, and the fabulous suggestion of Lisa, I went with the name Left Over Pie.  I'm not even close to being as funny as June, but I know y'all will run with things in the comments and provide all of the humor I am missing.  And at some point, I will get a better template.  And I'm cheap so I'm using a free Blogger account.

For those who know nothing about me, here is my current life in a nutshell:

1.  I live in Atlanta.  I'm in my 40's.  Here's a picture of me.   


Just kidding.  I wish I looked like that.  Only less cartoony.  That's a picture I painted.  I'm a part-time artist and teach classes where people come and booze it up.  Yes!  Painting and drinking!  It's fun, y'all!

2.  I work full time as a legal assistant.  Sometimes we booze it up at my law firm too.  Like pretty much once a month.  Or more often maybe.  But I don't drink too often.  We also have Cake Day once a month.  I do eat cake so I make up for saving the firm on alcohol by eating too much cake.

3.  Here is a real photo of me.  Yes, I'm well aware that I need liposuction on my 8 chins and my teeth are in desperate need of whitening.  I've been busy, okay?  And there are days my crazy hair rivals June's. 



4.  My boyfriend of over 5 years is currently living in Brazil.  And this sucks.  But hopefully he'll be back in December.  (I won't say how long he's been gone because everyone thinks I'm insane for waiting so long for him.  But he's totally worth it.  His blog name is Hot Brazilian.  Because he's hot.  And Brazilian.)  Here's a picture of him:



5.  I just bought my first house 6 months ago. 

6.  In the past 6 months I've had 2 1/2 weeks without houseguests.  For reals.  And I have more coming next month.

7.  My first 5 weeks of living in my house were full of construction.  I don't recommend starting off home ownership like that.

8.  I broke my arm just above the elbow in 4 places just 3 months after moving in.  I spent over a month in a big plaster thing and a horrid body brace and could not take a shower or even change my bra for 5 weeks.  (That's even grosser than you are imagining.  But it took 3 people to get the brace on and off me at the doctor's office and I live alone.  You do the math.)  Then over 2 months in a regular cast.  I just got it off 1 week ago and am now in physical therapy.  And there are going to be stories about that.  Many stories.

9.  Based on Numbers 5 and 6, I still haven't unpacked my house.  So don't come over and look in the bedroom which is eventually going to be a breakfast room.  Or the bedroom that is eventually going to be a walk-in closet.  Because those two bedrooms are a hot mess.  Or the bedroom that is my art studio.  It's the scariest one of all.  It's like an entire Michael's store threw up in there.

10.  I already miss June Gardens like mad and she hasn't even officially closed up shop yet.  Hopefully she will not be mad that I've started a new gathering place and will join us over here in the comments.

So, let's keep our dysfunctional family going here! 

19 comments:

  1. LOVE the name! So, my husband has to go to Brazil for work in August and wants to take me along.....not sure it will work for us financially. If I do go do you have a place that I MUST see or something I MUST do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olive,
      I lived in South America for 6 years and only visited Brazil a couple of times. But I loved it! The food is fabulous, the scenery is spectacular and you will never meet nicer, friendlier or more welcoming people than the Brazilians. As far as things to see and do, I highly recommend the Iguazu Falls down on the Argentine border.

      Also if you go to Rio, go to the H. Stern jewelry factory and see all their fantastic wares.

      The food is wonderful and you won't want to miss drinking some Caipirinhas. Just one or two at a time though, if you want to be able to keep walking upright.

      Delete
  2. Welcome y'all! Olive, I went down there once but I don't know that you would want to go where I did. I was in the Amazon. It was not a tourist town, Hot Brazilian was the ONLY person I could communicate with because in a week I did not encounter another person who spoke English, and the "city" I was in was kind of third worldish. What I can tell you is that even though I couldn't communicate with anyone I felt like the people were warm and welcoming, and I think I could move to Brazil in a heartbeat. It was gorgeous (HOT but gorgeous). Brazil is comparable in size to the U.S. and other areas are completely different than where I was. If you know where you might be going, I can ask HB for recommendations though! He does not like Rio, he loves Sao Paulo, he loves Fortaleza, and another city with a name which I've completely blanked out on. He's from the capital (Brasilia) so if you're going there I'm sure he could help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm already screwing up....I didn't even give this post a title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! You're so funny. It's a great post! Title, shmitle.

      Delete
  4. My husband will be in Rio. He says to me "they don't speak Spanish, they speak Portuguese". Um, like THAT makes a difference?! If they don't speak English I am lost :) I am truly on the fence about going. He would be in meetings all day which would leave me to park myself on the beach with a book. That is nice; however, I can do that here without paying $$$$. Our "deal" is if I sign a contract for employment with our local school system prior to his trip I will go. Otherwise I won't. Stay tuned! BTW, I had COMPLETELY forgotten that at one point I considered blogging and set up my "Olive" account. Now I feel the need to post something.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, y'all! M is here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi "M"!

    Olive, most people love Rio. HB doesn't because he doesn't drink, party, etc. and he just loves to work all the time. He says they don't work enough in Rio because they just watch soccer and party. Ha! I hope you get to go! I would imagine there are some English speaking people in Rio. I spent a week in the Amazon and know how to say okay and pineapple in Portuguese. That's not going to help you out at all.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am here!! Hey Beverly with the hot Brasilian boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So kind of you to tackle this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Beverly! You are so kind to just jump right in and get the ball rolling. I would be happy to help guest post any time you need me too. Since I don't bother posting at my own silly blog I may as well try it over here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stopping by. Hi everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary Ellen from NapaMay 26, 2012 at 2:37 AM

    Hey everyone! Thanks so much. Beverly! I'l post, if you need someone. So glad we have a new hang-out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Beverly! I feel so much better knowing we'll still all be able to talk with each other (even though I am almost totally a lurker!) after BBP is gone. Hopefully June will come here too and post once in a while. I really appreciate you taking over and making a place for us all to visit every day. You're doing great!

      Delete
  12. June.......are you there.......June ??

    ReplyDelete
  13. PT is not fun, but it's so necessary. Hubby is doing PT at the present time to recover from breaking his back. He goes to PT feeling fine and comes out in pain. I think they are being a bit too aggressive.

    ReplyDelete