Thursday, November 14, 2013

Atlanta. You so crazy.

Ever since Fay and I went to The Colonnade on Monday night, I've been thinking about all of the places in Atlanta I've heard about for many years and yet have never visited even though I've lived here my entire life.  I decided to talk about some of them on here and since a few of y'all who read are locals, I would love to visit them with some of y'all.  Let me know if you're interested and we can figure out our schedules and meet up after work or on a weekend.  Or for those of you who don't live in Atlanta come and visit me!  Look at all of the cool stuff we can do while you're here!  Boobs!  Ribs!  Dead people! 

First let's start off with the food places.  Because.....FOOD!  I've never been to any of these places and I really want to:

Fat Matt's Rib Shack - I once had jury duty with Fat Matt.  We both got out of serving.  He got out of it because he's Fat Matt and owns a restaurant and convinced the court it would be a hardship.  I got out of it because it was in federal court and a convicted felon had been caught with a gun and my brother is a cop so the defense didn't want me.  None of this has anything to do with the fact that I love barbecue and blues music which is why I want to go to Fat Matt's.

Woody's CheeseSteaks - I used to love the cheese steak sandwich at Three Dollar Cafe when I lived near one of their locations.  I haven't had one in years.  I've driven by Woody's for almost my entire life and have never been.

Majestic - That's right, hookers.  I've never, ever been to Majestic Diner even though it's been open since 1929.  I know it's supposedly gross.  I don't care.  I want to go.

Sundial - I want to go to a restaurant that rotates so that when I go to the bathroom I'll come back and have to hunt and see where my table has moved.

Taverna Plaka - I see it every night on my way home and I have wanted to try it for a while now. 

Now on to tourist type stuff........

Clermont Lounge - I am DYING to go see old strippers, y'all!  I want to see Blondie smash beer cans between her boobs!  Who will go with me?  My neighbor said she wanted to go until she found out there were strippers involved.  My other neighbor has offered to drive me there and pick me up because they want to see me drunk because I very rarely drink.  But no one will go with me! 

Margaret Mitchell House - I used to live less than 2 miles from this place and never managed to go.  I think I live maybe 5 or 6 miles from it now.  She managed to write Gone With the Wind so I could probably manage driving that far to see where she sat and wrote.

Tour of CNN - I want to see the all of the behind-the-scenes stuff.  Maybe Fay can give me a tour of Cartoon Network????

Tour of Oakland Cemetery - In the interest of full disclosure, I've been on an abbreviated tour of Oakland and saw the most interesting stuff.  A friend of mine used to be a tour guide and took me on a shortened version one Saturday morning because it was cold (to everyone but me) and rainy and no one else showed up.  He has since moved to New Jersey and I never went back for the full tour.  It's a super interesting place!

Sweet Auburn Curb Market - This would kind of be a cross between food AND tourist attraction. 

I wouldn't mind going to this after the Sweet Auburn Market since it's right in the same area:

The Martin Luther King Center - It's shameful really that I've never been even though I've lived nearby for many years.

Jimmy Carter Library - I might get a little bored doing this (just being honest!) but I live 5 - 10 minutes away so I should probably go at some point.

Starlight Drive-In Theater - I haven't been to a drive-in since I was so young that I don't remember ever going to a drive-in. 

Medieval Times - I've heard this is awesome.  I've also heard it's ridiculous and awful.  I want to go anyway.

Roswell Ghost Tour - because why not?

Dad's Garage - Improv.  Comedy.  Why would I not want to go watch that?

Monastery of the Holy Spirit - Full disclosure on this place:  I've been here but it was about 100 years ago and I don't remember the first thing about it so I would like to go back.  My mom went and stayed there for a weekend when she and my dad were in the middle of their divorce so she could have peace, quite and prayerful time.  I didn't even know you could stay there.  I just want to visit for a couple of hours.


So y'all let me know if you want to join me for any of this stuff.  Do any of you have other suggestions of things I should try?  I need to write a post about Blondie's boobs, y'all!  Come to the Clermont with me......

18 comments:

  1. I've never heard of most of these places and I was born in Atlanta...a long time ago.

    I've been to the Margaret Mitchell house. It's a tiny basement apartment, but I found it very interesting and the thought of people living in those close quarters is quite remarkable.

    I've been to the Carter Library. Short list, I know. Seems like when you live in a place it's not a priority to see the local attractions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to some of the local attractions in the past few years when family with children have been visiting. I finally went to World of Coca-Cola for instance.....don't ever plan to go again.

      Delete
    2. You didn't like World of Coke?! Ohmygosh-I LOVED it, but then again I absolutely love Coca-Cola. I'm kind of an advertising geek too so that's probably the reason I loved it so much.

      Delete
  2. I've been to:
    Fatt Matt's Rib Shack - For weekend lunch. We always try to sit outside on nice days. Haven't been for the music because the place is small and I don't like loud music. Yes, I'm a hundred and ninety-two.
    Sundial - For drinks, not dinner.
    CNN - Not the tour, knew someone who once worked there.
    Oakland Cemetery - Not the tour, but that would be interesting. Highly recommend.
    Sweet Auburn Curb Market - I think we went once with friends, but nothing on their website looks familiar.
    Martin Luther King Center - I've only seen it from the outside.
    Jimmy Carter Library - Twice. Once with visiting Russians and that was interesting.
    Ghost Tour in Savannah, but not in Roswell.
    Monastery of the Holy Spirit - Beautiful and serene. The monks make THE best fruitcake that they sale in their shop. It can also be ordered online.
    Six Flags Over Georgia - Several times. (You left this off your list.)
    Stone Mountain - Many times. (Wear good walking shoes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was making a list of the places I haven't been which is why I didn't include Six Flags or Stone Mountain. I've been to Six Flags probably at least 100 times in my life (had season passes for years when I was younger) and the same for Stone Mountain. In fact, my very first job was working at Stone Mountain.

      Delete
    2. I realized you left off Six Flags and Stone Mountain because you had visited them. I just listed them to show that I've been some places in my 30 years here even if I've missed The Colonnade. I've also been to the Georgia Aquarium twice, but not the World of Coke. I went to the Hard Rock Cafe once with my sister and brother-in-law after he selected it. I never have to go there again. Did I mention that I don't like loud music? Did I mention I'm one hundred ninety-two?

      Delete
    3. I've also been to the Aquarium twice. I took my cousin's 12-year-old son to Hard Rock last year and he said it was too loud for him and he wanted to leave. I had a great time. Ha!

      You don't look a day over one hundred ninety-one!

      Delete
  3. We drove by some of those places. Some on purpose, some, well maybe not quite on purpose? What about the cool weave place we saw? AND the uber cool corner market? Those places aren't on your list?! There are so many things around VB that I haven't seen. And, Williamsburg, a short 45 minute drive away.....I go there to hit the outlets. Tour Colonial Williamsburg? Not since I was forced to as a child :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, Karen. I don't even remember what uber cool corner market you are talking about. Ha! And I don't think I need a weave so I'll probably skip Oh My Nappy Hair Salon. http://www.ohmynappyhair.com/

      Delete
    2. Karen,
      Tee loves Williamsburg. My husband and I enjoyed it, too, when we went many years ago. I was going to say "a few years ago", but realize it was more than a few.

      Delete
  4. I love to ride past and say "oh, isn't it so pretty". But, my true love is shopping. Shop till you drop shopping.
    Beverly, I'm not real sure the cool corner market had any signage. It was quite the hang out for people that made us both check out door locks :) I believe I made a smart aleck comment about stopping. You nicely declined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude I cannot BELIEVE you've never been to some of those places! Fat Matt's! The Majestic! Both great. Dad's Garage! Wow. As for Plaka, Mykonos on Clairmont Road or even Chris's Pizza in Toco Hills are better Greek food. Just sayin. Although I'm not sure if either one has onion rings or mac & cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. KAREN, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG! We love that place. I'm really embarrassed to say how many times we've been there considering we live 577 miles from the place.

    There are so many places in Atlanta I've never been it's pitiful. Atlanta History Center, a great place to visit. Can you tell we are into history?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm playing catch up today. Funny how our conversation inFB went from oatmeal to loose meat.

    I want to go to Oakland and the rib place. I've been to the sundial but just for the view. Have you climbed Kennesaw Mountain? Well, you can take the bus up with your PF feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, let us know when you'll be in town and have a day to spend with the Peeps. We can eat ribs for lunch, then go to the cemetery to walk it off. That is, if we don't need a nap first.

      Speaking of PF feet, how have the socks been working for you, Beverly?

      Delete
    2. Will do, Sadie. My husband is still job hunting and one popped up back in Marietta. But then nothing came of it. Quite sad.

      Delete
  8. We took the boys (then 6 & 10) to Medievel Times out here in California. They loved it. We told them it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. What we didn't tell them is that the reason for that was because it was SO AWFUL we were never, ever going back again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fat Matt's Rib Shack would be the FIRST place I would go to in Atlanta!! Love that name!

    Hope you're feeling better, Beverly. Boo on the flu bug or whatever you have.

    ReplyDelete