Monday, November 25, 2013

OMG! I met OFM! And I picked up a turkey from a police officer at Starbucks.

I still don't feel all that good y'all and it's been 9 nine days with this crap.  I feel a lot better than I did the first 3 days of it, but I still don't feel like myself.  I hope none of you get this.  It's awful.

To answer some of your questions from the comments on my last post, no it was definitely not food poisoning.  I've had food poisoning twice and this was totally different.

No, neither of my friends who came to my house to paint got sick.  Neither has fake daughter.  I've tried to stay in my bedroom a lot and not spread my cooties all over the house.

All I know is, I still can't eat much.  I haven't gotten sick or anything, I just can't eat much before I feel disgusting.  I ate a sandwich for lunch Friday which was the first "real" meal I had eaten in 6 days and I felt gross the rest of the day.  On Saturday, I had a piece of toast around 8:00 a.m. and then I had a normal dinner and I felt gross all day yesterday.  In fact, I went to bed at 6:00 last night and slept until 4:00 a.m. which is not like me at all.  Hello, insomniac here!  I had half a piece of chicken and some rice for lunch today and I feel kind of horrible now.  There are no other symptoms though - no fever, no vomiting or the other stuff.  I just feel really gross and disgusting after I eat.  Maybe my stomach just shrunk a ton from not eating for 5 or 6 days so now I can't eat as much.  I'm going to be disappointed if I can't eat much for Thanksgiving though.

And hey, my pants are getting looser!

Let's talk about something besides being sick.  Because on Saturday I went and did something kind of awesome:



That's right, hookers!  I met One Fabulous Mama!  If y'all are not following her on Facebook yet, you need to really consider doing so.  (She also has a blog, Sadie who isn't on Facebook.)

She just published a book and is doing a little road trip for book signings.  I happened to be on Facebook right before I was going to bed on Wednesday night and saw one of my childhood friends write on her page that she was going to her book signing on Saturday.  So I popped on there and asked if she wanted some company since my friend and I had not seen each other in at least a couple of years and OMG, I WANTED TO MEET OFM!  My friend was thrilled so we made our reservation at the quaint little Italian restaurant where the book signing was being held and I drove out to Covington, GA which is about 45 minutes from Atlanta.

For those of you who have no idea what on earth OFM is about, she is a light in the oftentimes dark world, she is a rock star superhero goddess, she is amazeballs, and she is all about loving yourself no matter what anyone else thinks about you.  In fact, a huge part of her message is that it's none of your damn business what other people think about you.  She also is spreading love and peace and all that is good after coming back from the brink of wanting to kill herself a year ago.

After meeting her, I can tell you that she is even more amazing in person.  She is so warm and accepting, humble, she is honored that people share their broken pieces with her, and she is truly amazed that she is making a difference in people's lives.  She took time and wrote meaningful messages in each book she signed.

She is also not nearly as pasty white as I am.  Good grief.

There were 3 different reservation times and my friend and I went for the last one.  Do you know what that means?  That means we also got to meet one of her Littles and her Mister because they came to help her load books, OFM wine, t-shirts, etc. up in their van when the day was over.  We met the college-aged Little.  We also got to meet Pam who is one of the admins on her Facebook page.  They were all just so nice, y'all!  Very down to earth.

After I left the book signing, I went to Starbucks in Conyers, GA to pick up a turkey from a police officer.

As one does.

My brother, fake daughter and I are going to my neighbors' house for Thanksgiving.  They have a good number of people over each year (we went there last year too) and they fry two turkeys.  My brother had told them he would get one of the turkeys, and I'm bringing a couple of casseroles and a couple of desserts.  He told me last week to remind them he was getting a turkey to bring so I was texting with the wife about some stuff and I mentioned to her that my brother would bring a turkey.

She told me her husband said it couldn't be more than 13 pounds to fit in the fryer and then she said her husband needed the turkey at least 40 hours ahead of time to prepare it.  I guess he injects them and brines them - I'm not really sure what all he does to them.  She seemed to be a little stressed about making absolutely certain he was really bringing a turkey so they would have enough food.  So I told her the guys needed to talk and leave us out of the turkey situation.  I texted my brother and told him to contact the husband so they could discuss The Great Turkey Situation of 2013.  I never heard back from him.

On Friday night I texted my neighbor and she said her husband had not heard anything from my brother.  I called him and he said he had been really busy, blah blah blah but he was definitely bringing a turkey.  I told him the neighbors would need the turkey by Monday night and he said, "Okay, I guess I'm driving a turkey to Atlanta on Monday" which would be about an hour or more round trip.

Then I told him I was going to be in Covington on Saturday night with our mutual childhood friend meeting a rock star super hero goddess who sells books and peach wine and ninjas and is covered up in awesome tattoos and I could meet him after that and pick up the turkey since Covington is very close to where he lives and works.

My friend had not seen my brother in probably 30 years so when I told her I was going to meet him to pick up a turkey she asked if she could join us because apparently picking up a turkey on a Saturday night is our idea of a wild time out on the town.

I called my brother and he suggested meeting at Starbucks so we met him there and he was on duty (he's a police officer).  He's a supervisor so he gets to drive around in a super fancy police SUV so we stood out in the parking lot and got the turkey out of the police SUV and put it in my boring and plain SUV and then I stood there while he ran down the bank and through some bushes to yell at some guys sitting at a red light who had their stereo turned up so loud we were all vibrating.  And then I went in and treated my friend and the turkey toting uniformed police offer to coffee.

I have never typed the word turkey so many times in my life.

At some point, my brother had to leave to go out on a call and my friend and I sat and talked for so long that he eventually came back so he could talk to us for a few more minutes.  Then he had to leave for another call and my friend and I left to go home.

My friend is going through some stuff so we talked about it quite a bit.  Later that night as I was getting ready for bed she sent me a text and said she was so thankful for my friendship and that I had saved her life Saturday night.  I told her I didn't know about all of that, but that I'm always here for her and that I love her tons and hope she's okay.  She wrote back and said, "No.  Seriously.  You don't know what you did for me tonight.  You saved me."  It's amazing when you can just listen to a person and help them that much, isn't it?

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like what my mom goes through with diverticulitis/losis (can never remember which one it is) flare-ups. Hope you get to feeling better in time to enjoy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. itis is inflammation of, and osis is the condition of. So itis is you're sick, osis is you're fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend needed to vent and you were there to listen. Turkey preparation can get way too complicated. My husband is going to cook/smoke a ham on the Big Green Egg.

    You have been feeling bad too long. Maybe you need to be eating soft/light foods for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beverly, I'm so happy you were well enough to meet One Fabulous Mama. (Yes, I did check her blog. Thanks for the link.)

    You were a true friend to your friend when she needed you most. We always knew you have a kind soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beverly, do you still have your gallbladder? Since no one else got sick, and you are still peak-ed feeling, and you feel worse after you eat, I would almost bet that it's your gallbladder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with Heather. Is the pain on the right side up above your waist?

    ReplyDelete
  7. OFM and Our Fabulous Beverly. You both have huge hearts. Hope you feel better soon and find out what the heck is going on, B!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving!

    Beverly, hope you can enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner. If you aren't well by now, it sounds like it is time for a doctor's visit to find out what is going on.

    By the way, how are the PF socks working out for you?

    ReplyDelete