Wednesday, October 2, 2013

We were never a granola family growing up

First things first.  Here are the Music Tuesday results:

First place goes to Anita for Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolfe:


Second place goes to Karen for Heart's Magic Man:


Third place goes to Sadie for Fortune Teller by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss:


Here are some I came up with:






I'm going to practice shimmying my money makers like that belly dancer in the Santana video.  I want my milkshake to bring all the boys to the yard.

On to my boring nonsense now.

Monday night I went to Target and bought me a new coffee maker.  It has no carafe so 20+ years from now I will be stuck with this thing because I'll have no pot to break when I'm chasing a bug across the counter and no excuse to go buy a new one.

When did coffee makers get so dadgum expensive, y'all?  Well, I guess a lot of things cost more than they did 20 years ago.

This is the one I bought:


I mainly bought it because of four things:  (1) I went online while standing in the store and saw that it has good reviews; (2) there is no glass pot to break; (3) it didn't cost 9 million dollars like a Keurig;  and (4) it brews iced coffee, y'all!  Iced coffee!  My favorite kind of coffee.  Hot flashes and hot coffee are not a good mix and I've preferred iced coffee for most of my life.  My Mam-ma used to give us iced coffee as a special treat sometimes when we were kids and visited her down in Vidalia, Georgia (yes, where the onions are from and where it is so hot in the summer that you feel like you are standing on the surface of the sun).  She also fed us homemade ice cream, purple cows (ice cream floats made with grape juice), Whoppers by the carton, Coke by the liter, twice-baked potatoes, homemade biscuits, the world's best homemade potato soup loaded up with cream and butter, deviled ham, vienna sausages and fried fatback so I think we can safely say that Mam-ma wasn't so worried about healthy eating.  And had I known what on earth fatback was when I was a kid, I never would have eaten it.  Ick.

My grandfather also butchered a pig on the kitchen table once and I wouldn't eat anything pork for many years.   He was an inspector with the Department of Agriculture and inspected livestock.  That's how he ended up with a pig to butcher.  When he made his homemade barbecue with homemade vinegar based sauce, they would tell me it was something other than pork and I ate that stuff right up.  They also told me fatback was something else besides fried pork fat.

I've never claimed to be smart.

Anyway, and does anyone else feel stab-y when people say anywho instead of anyway?  I do. I'm also getting tired of the sudden onslaught of people posting camel photos on Facebook every single Wednesday for hump day.  We've called it that forever.  Why all the camels suddenly?  I'm also tired of all of the things people post on Facebook that tell me if I don't share them or like them or comment on them that I don't like Jesus or I'm not supportive of disabled people, that I can't think of a dog's name that doesn't have an 'a' in it, etc..  (Um, Fido?)

Anyway, when I got home Monday night, I took a picture of the coffee maker box and texted it to my mom with a message that said, "DO NOT PANIC!  NO STRESSING OUT!  I bought a new coffee maker and will figure out how to use it before your arrival."  She's coming the last weekend of October (possibly for the party but it's also possible she won't get here until the day after the party) and she MUST HAVE COFFEE UPON WAKING.  She called me yesterday and when I answered the phone she was cracking up.  She said when she first saw the message she thought, "Oh no.  What has she done now?  Do not panic?  This can't be good."  My mom apparently has little faith in me.

I also bought these when I was at Target to see if they will help my plantar fasciitis:


And this caused a whole pain in my butt type of situation.  Not literally.  My butt is fine.  I will tell you about it tomorrow.  No, wait.  I'm not going to tell you about my fine butt.  I'll tell you about the situation the Walkfit Platinum caused.

4 comments:

  1. Funny, Heart's Magic Man was playing on my radio as I read this entry.

    Would love to know if/how those Walkfit Platinum things work, so maybe a review after you've used them a while?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had plantar fasciitis, I got a special little brace to wear (over the sock, under the shoe) from my doctor. It helped some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother cooked with fatback in her greenbeans, I could not stand for that to touch any of the beans I ate. She also fried the fatback and ate it with her homemade biscuits with mustard. Yuck. Dean's Barbeque, our local establishment, serves their barbeque with vinegar-based sauce. Best barbeque in the world.

    I hope you Mom makes it to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each song submitted was terrific. Congratulations to Anita and Karen. And thanks for 3rd place. It was a fun category.

    I was raised by Midwestern parents so no fatback for us, fried or otherwise. Bacon was used instead. As kids, our preference was brown cows made with rootbeer rather than grape soda. That was a real treat.

    ReplyDelete