Monday, September 17, 2012

I'm full of sap and mush in this one

Well y'all.  I didn't exactly get around to posting this weekend even though I said I might.  I'm just no June Gardens with her blog dedication, am I?  (It did make me feel a little better to see she didn't blog this weekend either.)

Saturday I left at 10:00 a.m. to go out to my dad's house and I was there until almost 5:00 p.m.  Y'all, his wife is so sad and it breaks my heart to see her crying, packing up her things to move at almost 80 years of age (my dad was 72 - she's a bit older than he was), being scared about her future, missing my dad SO much (he was the love of her life even though they had only been married 2 years), but also being angry with him and feeling deceived over the complete financial mess he left us to deal with, leaving her with absolutely nothing, etc.  We had my dad cremated because she wanted to have his ashes buried with her.  Now she says she can't even bear to have the urn with her and seeing it every single day will prevent her from ever being able to get over his death.  She wants my brothers and I to have his remains and she wants us to spread at least a portion of his ashes on our biological mom's grave so we will have our parents back together again.  I don't know when I'll be able to handle that.  I've told her we don't have to decide that kind of stuff immediately and she should take some time to think about it.  She says her mind is more than made up.  She feels my dad would want his three children to have his remains.  Is it weird that I don't think I can handle having his ashes in my house either?  Because I really don't think I can. 

After I left my dad's house, I met my sister-in-law and niece for dinner over an hour away from my house, stopped at the grocery store on the way home where I saw a poor man knock over an entire shelf of jars of crushed garlic (breaking many of them), and didn't get home until about 9:00.  I could still smell garlic for hours.  Yesterday I cooked all of my lunches and dinners for the week, did a tiny bit of yard work, a tiny bit of house cleaning, and some laundry.

Then I picked up a paint brush for the first time since I broke my arm over 7 months ago.  My soul needed some therapy in a very bad way.  A blank canvas, some paint, and a few brushes is the best therapy I've ever found in my life.  I'm painting a piece with butterflies - one large butterfly representing my dad and three small ones representing my two brothers and I - because butterflies are such a great symbol of resurrection, transition, lightness, and I've heard some cultures think of them as returning souls of the deceased.  I'm painting them because of all those things and as a symbol that our family is now going through a transformation and a change to a life without my dad.  Butterflies seem to dance as they move through the air which reminds me to get up and move and to work towards feeling joy and lightness again.  Also, I have seen what I think is the same butterfly in my front yard repeatedly since the week my dad passed away.  (Is this enough cheese for one post?  I think so.)

And that was pretty much my weekend in a nutshell.  Super exciting, huh?

Let's move on to Music Monday.

We began looking through my dad's stuff this weekend and making some plans for which pieces, stuff, etc. we are going to keep and what we are going to sell to pay towards my dad's funeral, etc.  My dad was a professional photographer and his basement is full of photography equipment so our theme for this week is:  Photography!  The song(s) you submit must contain a word in the title associated with photography (photograph, picture, film, camera, lens, etc.)  As ususal, I have a few songs in mind but can't wait to see what y'all come up with!

9 comments:

  1. Kodachrome by Paul Simon

    Photographs and Memories by Jim Croce

    Photograph by Def leppard

    p.s. I am really sorry for the emotional upheaval that was your weekend. If you can't keep your dad's ashes in your house, I would be happy to let him stay here till you are ready. I have my dog's ashes in my closet and can't seem to bury him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beverly, I'm sorry you are having to deal with so much stuff with your Dad's passing. Such difficult times. I think it's wonderful that you are painting again, I love the idea of the butterflies. Before my son passed away, I told him if I saw two butterflies together, I would know that he was in Heaven with my Mom. The day of his memorial service, two huge yellow butterflies were in our flower bed when our guests got back to our house, we didn't get to see them at that time but the next day, two more flew through our yard. We have seen thousands in the four years since is passing. They sure bring us comfort. I'm wishing for peace and comfort for you.

    Deb~in~Denver

    ReplyDelete
  3. If A Picture Paints A Thousand Words ~ Bread
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mheE1u1uNNE

    Photograph ~ Ringo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6CMSuT98-E

    Candid Camera Theme Song
    http://www.hark.com/clips/nwsrtkqwgc-candid-camera-theme-song


    ReplyDelete
  4. Pictures of Lily -- The Who

    Girls on Film -- Duran Duran

    Beverly, I'm so sorry about the mess you and your family are having to deal with and sad for your dad's wife and the despair she is experiencing.

    We had a private family memorial for my dad in my parent's backyard garden. Just as we concluded, several butterflies danced together in front of us all. I can't express how meaningful that was. One of our favorite quotes is, "What the caterpillar perceives as the end, to the butterfly is just the beginning."

    May your painting give you solace and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beverly, I'm so sorry about all the unexpected problems you and your brothers are having to deal with, but my heart really goes out to his wife. I can't imagine the grief, the anger and the fear that she is dealing with and facing the unknown for her future. Lots of decisions face all of you. God bless you.

    You can always do like my dear friend, bury your dad's ashes in the backyard. She actually buried her husband's ashes in her flower bed next to her garage. Just don't tell the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, the music.

    Paparazzi - Lady Gaga

    ReplyDelete
  7. Freeze Frame -- J Giles Band

    I'm so sorry for your loss and the aftermath of losing a parent that way, but I'm so glad to hear you're painting again and seeing out the release and understanding art therapy can have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly don't know how you're able to cope with all of this, Beverly. I'm glad you're painting again and the butterflies are a lovely idea.
    I hadn't seen one for years, until one appeared after my aunt died two months ago. The next day there were three flying together and I just knew she was with my mom and their older sister again. It gave me such a sense of peace and helped ease the sadness I felt.

    Every Picture Tells A Story...Rod Stewart

    ReplyDelete