Friday, September 14, 2012

It's been a week, y'all

So Friday is a good day to finally post Music Monday winners, right?  I just can't seem to get it together this week......

If I could get my lazy butt up 30 minutes earlier in the mornings I'd post each day, but I have major sleep issues and it's all I can do to drag myself up to get to work on time.

Monday night the girl was at my house until after 10:00 p.m. doing my hair.  My hair is much darker which is what I wanted and I like it.  But I keep freaking out every single time I see it in a mirror.  It’s much closer to my natural color now, it’s just that I haven’t seen that color in about 10 years.  I don’t recognize myself without all the gray and ugly brassy highlights it seems.  I’ve been wanting to go back darker for a while, but the last two people who colored it just didn’t quite do it.  My last hair guy lost his wife to cancer and he kind of started doing weird stuff to my hair and I didn’t want to upset him so I didn’t say anything, but kept going back to him because he had formerly done a great job on my hair and I kept thinking he’d do better the next time I went.  Then I called and they told me had he moved to D.C. so I had to find a new person. 

Everyone at work says they like it much better darker and I know Hot Brazilian will agree when I finally see him again.  Or when we video Skype or something.  When I went to Brazil almost 3 years ago I had just had highlights added and he said, “darling, what did you do to your hair?  It’s different.”  I asked him if he liked it and he said, “the important thing is that you like it” because he’s a smart guy, that Hot Brazilian of mine.  When my ex-husband and I were engaged, he ran security at the U.S. Embassy in Cyprus for a year (see?  I have a habit of very long distance relationships) and I cut my hair off from mid-way down my back up to my chin while he was gone.  I swear to you, his very first 5 words to me when he got off the plane were, “that will grow back, right?” because he’s not a very smart guy, that ex-husband of mine.  And then he told me he could not tell I had lost 35 pounds while he was gone because he’s a complete idiot.  I doubt any men are reading this, but here’s a tip:  say you can tell your woman has lost weight if she tells you she has even if you can’t really tell, you stupid idiots.  Because that was way the hell back in 1996 and I’m apparently still not over it.  Also, never say to your wife, “I’m going to stop and get a shake from McDonalds but you need to go home and have a salad,” because I can tell you that will not go over well with us ever.  He’s an EX for many reasons, that ex-husband of mine. 

Anyway, on Tuesday night, I finally got to start back to physical therapy after arguing with my insurance company a whole bunch and getting my doctor to write a new prescription for a possible rotator cuff tear or impingement instead of for my broken arm.  They gave me 4 more sessions and that might be it.  However, our benefits manager messed up her shoulder and is about to start with my same therapist and if she has insurance issues maybe she will get the insurance company to, you know, cover needed physical therapy since we supposedly have unlimited PT each year.  Starting back to therapy after a month and a half break from it made me very hurt-y and tired so I didn’t blog that night. 

Then Wednesday night I met a friend of mine for dinner since I’m completely broke and it sounded like a good idea to go out and buy dinner for myself.  And a beer.  But just one.  I had not seen her in about 5 months and she wanted to give me a shoulder to cry on because my year has sucked the big one.  I didn’t really cry, y’all even though this year really has sucked quite a bit.  Actually, a couple of days ago my mom and I were summarizing the past year and a half in my life:  my dad had 2 heart attacks and ended up on life support, having 3 surgeries, and being in the hospital for a month, then one of my awesome uncles died of cancer, then my mom got remarried and moved from Atlanta to Texas and she’s kind of my rock and I miss her a lot now that she’s 12 hours away, then I went through the worst home buying experience my agent has ever seen in his 20+ years in the real estate industry, then I lived in my house during 6 weeks of major renovations, then I tripped on my flip flop and broke my arm and elbow in 4 places, then my house started breaking every single time I turned around to the tune of $7,000 of repairs in 6 months, and now my dad is dead.  So yes, my friend thought I might want to cry, what with having a crappy, sucky, awful year so we talked until almost 10:00 and, once again, I was too tired to blog when I got home. 

Last night, I was just feeling too lazy to do anything so I didn’t blog then either.  And now it’s Friday already.  Ack! 

As I mentioned in June’s comments, my older brother and I are meeting with my dad’s wife’s kids tomorrow to discuss how to handle the mess my dad left behind a few weeks ago.  Someone mentioned in the comments that I should consult an estate attorney.  I work at a law firm and I’ve talked to our estate attorney and have gotten some advice.  At some point I may feel like posting what the true situation is that we’re facing, but it doesn’t seem like the right time to do that right now.  But we have a lot to do in the next couple of months and I’m not looking forward to any of it.  If you’re so inclined, please say a little prayer for my brothers and I as we go down this road ahead of us.  And pray that everyone is still speaking to each other when we're done. 

Imma move on to Music Monday results and stop talking about so much negative stuff! 

First place goes to Heather for ol' blue eyes:


Second place is a tie!  Just Paula for Patsy Cline's "I Fall to Pieces":


And also to Lisa Pie for Earth Wind & Fire:


And Third Place belongs to Bobbi for some awesome Van Morrison:


My contribution is this one from Paolo Nutini (have any of you heard of him?):


I may try to post over the weekend and shock all of you! 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Beverly:

    What I get after reading your post is that you are pretty fortunate:

    You LIVED through 6 weeks of renovations
    You HAD $7,000 to pay when things went haywire
    You HAD a terrific dad whom you loved
    Your mom IS your rock
    You HAVE a brother by your side with whatever estate mess lies in front of you

    You are tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane has some very good points. Hope things went better than expected with your meeting over your dad's estate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog Beverly. You're so real. That's all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were in my thoughts this weekend, especially on Saturday. I hope the estate attorney at your firm is able to give you guidance with handling your dad's estate.

    Congratulations to Heather, Just Paula, Lisa Pie and Bobbi. Beverly, stay strong and don't fall to pieces like Patsy.

    ReplyDelete