Thursday, August 16, 2012

Don't ever leave me stranded in the jungle. I won't like you very much if you do.

Boy, y’all know yourselves some food songs.  And Sadie, I did know a couple of the ones you submitted.  I’m really not that young. 

In fact, this Saturday I will be 44.  It’s my birthday y’all!  I’m going to get up and cut my grass because nothing says “Happy Birthday to me” like some fun lawn mowing early on a Saturday.  And why does grass have to grow so dadgum much?  I don’t like mowing every blasted weekend.  But then after my yard is prettied up, I’m going to Folk Fest.  It’s the world’s largest folk art show and it’s here in Atlanta each year and it’s always right around my birthday.  And since it’s in August, let me pause to give thanks that it’s an indoor festival with a/c.  Last year, one of my favorite folk artists and a friend in real life, Sam Granger, gave me a pair of freedom chicken earrings.  They are truly one of a kind.  So is Sam Granger.  If you like to hear some crazy stories, you should figure out how to meet Sam.  He's an awesome guy.  Then I’m heading to Snellville (yes, it’s a real place) to my dad’s house for dinner with part of my family.  One of my cool neighbors who came to June’s birthday party last month is celebrating his birthday on the 20th so they are having a get together on Sunday.  So I will be doing fun birthday stuff all weekend. 

In other news, after Hot Brazilian had to quickly leave the internet café in the middle of the Amazon jungle because of the thousands of ants when we were talking on Sunday night, he promised he would call me again on Monday night to let me know he made it back to civilization (sort of) in the capital city.  The capital city is not exactly modern, y'all.  Well, he didn’t call me until last night so I’ve been fretting and worrying for two days.  But after he told me what happened, I just feel terrible for him. 

Turns out he and his friend were about half-way back to the "city" on Sunday night, it was late, and they were smack dab in the middle of the jungle when something really bad happened.  There are not exactly expressways to drive on.  The 200 miles is mostly on dirt roads.  And it’s the rainy season.  They got stuck in mud in the middle of the jungle at almost midnight.  It was pitch black outside, they were nowhere near any sort of village, and so they could not get out of the car.  There are giant snakes, other not so nice critters, lots of dangerous bugs that bite, Amazon Indians (and a lot of them really aren’t very nice) that could have come across them, etc.  They were stuck all night (almost 8 hours because at dawn the mosquitoes are really bad and they didn’t want malaria so they had to wait a while after the sun came up to get out) in an un-air conditioned car sitting in the middle of mud in the Amazon.  And he told me he was terrified.  Y’all.  I cannot even imagine.  I would have just needed to ask him to punch me in the head so I would pass out and wouldn’t even know it was happening if I had been there.  Crap.  I mean, I know I said this already, but I really cannot even imagine.  When I went down there to visit him I could hardly stand that housekeeping turned our air off in our hotel room after we left and it was hot when we got back.  But gigantic anacondas?  Mosquitoes that give you malaria?  Mean Indians?  Stuck in a car in the pitch black jungle all night?  Ack! 

After they finally got back to the “city” the next afternoon he did some stuff and then fell asleep before I would have been home for him to call me.  We use Skype since it’s free and I can’t download it on my work computer so we only talk when I’m at my house.  The next night he couldn’t get internet service to work.  That means I had to wait 2 days to see if he survived all the ants and a trip through the jungle.  I told him that it’s this kind of stuff that makes me want him to come back to the U.S. immediately.  He’s supposed to be back here at the end of the year but I know the Amazon adventures are what keeps him so alive in his soul.  He’ll be back, but I see many trips to the Amazon in the future.  I don’t think I’ll venture out of the city with him much though. 

And in yet other news, I went to get my emissions inspection done on my car before work this morning.  And thankfully I passed so I can get my car tag renewed.  But y’all.  The guy running the place was, um, interesting.  I was trying to pay with my debit card.  First he couldn’t get the phone jack to stay in the wall.  Then he couldn’t get the jack to stay in the back of the credit card machine.  Finally I just paid in cash so I wouldn’t be there all day.  And he was from a foreign country.  I’m not sure where but maybe Egypt or something?  Anyway, boyfriend could not speak English all that well.  So I said “huh?” a lot.  And “what?”  And also “can you repeat that please?”  At one point he told me to turn off my engine and later I wasn’t sure if he said “turn your engine back on” or if he said “go do a cartwheel, then stand on your head while you eat some grapes” because I could not understand him at all. 

Speaking of grapes, let’s move on to our food themed Music Monday results on Thursday…sorry for the delay.  I promise I'm going to get on a more regular posting schedule.  Soon.  Ish.  I may shock y'all and post again tomorrow.  Here are a few songs I came up with: 

I've told y'all how much I love Beastie Boys, right?  Egg Man:


Tori Amos - Cornflake Girl:

And I LOVE the B-52's (they were from my college town of Athens, Ga. and I got to see them perform live one night in the field behind my dorm.)  I have to include Quiche Lorraine:


I'm also a fan of Jack Johnson and this is one of my favorite songs from him.  Banana Pancakes:


First Place goes to Lisa Pie for Red Red Wine.  LOVE that song.  I'm linking to a UB40 version:


Second Place also goes to Lisa Pie.  Because how could The Pina Colada song not be included.  And now we will all have it stuck in our heads for a week:

Third Place goes to Sadie.  Because I also love that scene in Beetlejuice.  Banana Boat Song:


5 comments:

  1. Snellville, where every body is some body. My best friends from childhood live in Snellville.

    Sounds like you are headed for a fun weekend, well, except for the grass cutting/yard work.

    I don't blame boyfriend, I would have stayed in the locked car, my feet would have never touched the ground. Maybe even in the daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sounds like you have a terrific weekend planned. Also, please wish your neighbor a happy birthday from me.

    So glad your Hot Brazilian made it safely out of the jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FINALLY!!!!! Yes, at long last I have *finally* gotten my much-deserved 1st place win. I would like to thank all the people who voted for me and who supported me through lo these many years of trying my hardest. And of course, what kind of a schmuck would I be if I didn't thank God for this win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,everyone my name is mlmvc from USA i never ever believed in spell until i meet a man called Dr upesa, who help me cast a spell that bring back my ex-lover who left me for one years before our marriage,His spells works beyond my imaginations and today i am happily married two kids and me and my [ex-lover] now husband are very happy more than ever before,what more can i say rather than to say thank you Dr upesa for been there for me,contact him today and your life will never ever remain the same his email is upesalovetemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete


  5. Be careful here nobody can help you here or even suggest how you can get your ex or love back,any testimonies of most spell caster here must be ignore.because most of them are scam i mean real scam which i was a victim and i got ripped of thousands of dollars because i was so anxious to get my wife back after she left me for over 2 years with my 7 years old son jerry,i have applied to 7 different spell caster here and all to no avail they all ask for same thing send your name your ex name address and picture phone number etc which i did over and over again and most of them were from west Africa until i saw a post about mama Anita spell and i decided to gave her my last trail.she ask me four things my real name,my ex and my ex mother name and $180 and said my ex will come back in 24hours, i have paid over $3000 on spell casting and courier and nothing have work for me after 3 days i was thinking about how much i have lost so far so i said let me give her a try so i called her again and send my real name,my ex and my ex mother name and the $180 because i swear it was my last try so i was waiting as she told me to wait till next day and i could not sleep that night because i really love my wife and want her back at 9pm that day i saw my wife on line on face book and she said hi at first i was shock because she never talk with me for the past a year and 9 month now i did not reply again she said are you there? i quickly reply yes and she said can we see tomorrow i said yes and she went off-line i was confused i try to chat her again but she was no more on line i could not sleep that night as i was wondering what she is going to say, by 7.am the next morning she gave me a miss call i decided not to call back as i was still on shock again she call and i pick she said can we see after work today i said yes so she end the call immediately i got off work she call me and we meet and now we are back again i call mama anita the next day thanking her for what she has done in fact i still call her and thank her as my life was not complete without my wife please be careful here i have been scam thousands of dollars if you want a true love spell then contact mama Anita (mama.anitatruelovespell@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete