Monday, August 13, 2012

Writing this post has made me really hungry.

You know those weekends where you don't really do anything yet you hardly sit down?  That's what my weekend was like.

Saturday morning I was going to mow the grass super early (since it's my favorite thing to do) before I met a friend for breakfast.  So I set my alarm for 7:00, got up, drank some water, got dressed, went outside, and discovered it had rained overnight so my grass was too wet.  And before you start thinking how rude I would have been to mow that early on a Saturday morning, please remember I have a reel mower so it's completely human powered, doesn't crank, and so it doesn't make noise.  But since the grass was too wet, I went back inside and cleaned a couple of toilets because I still wanted to have a lot of fun.

I've known the friend I met for breakfast since we were in first grade.  And she STILL wants to be friends with me after all these years....  We went to a place called Home Grown near my 'hood.  Had I known about it when Laurie was here, I would have taken her there instead of driving all over Atlanta looking for a breakfast place while we almost starved to death.  Because y'all, the food is the bomb!  Then my friend and I proved to each other just how much of city people we are.  They have a pretty decent sized garden behind the restaurant and we discovered we could not identify most of what was growing because we simply buy that stuff at the store after it's all grown and harvested.  Directly across the street is another garden called Wonder Root Community Garden and it's right next door to Wonder Root Arts Center and how the heck did I not know all of this cool stuff was less than 5 minutes from my house?  Well, I suppose the point is I know it now.  I still don't know what some of the stuff growing was though.  For instance, we were debating back and forth whether some of the plants were okra or squash.  Onions or garlic?  We do not know.

After I left breakfast, I went grocery shopping where I bought lots of veggies that I could identify because they weren't still trying to be born.  And then I mowed my grass, did a little weeding, cooked some of the veggies I bought, ate dinner, took a shower, and somehow it was already 9:00 p.m. and the day was gone and I wasn't sure how that had even happened.

Sunday morning I got up at the butt crack of dawn again because the internet guy was supposed to be at my house between 8 and 9.  I walked outside to water some flowers in containers, and then fell in love with the fact that it was in the low 60's and it almost felt like a crisp fall morning since the humidity wasn't 85-90% for the first time in weeks.  So I sat on the porch and realized my 'hood was almost silent which is highly unusual even at 7:30 on a Sunday morning.  I wish that moment had lasted all day.

But it didn't.

The internet guy pulled up at 8:05.  He came in and checked things out and then he asked a question I always hate to hear......"Do you have a basement or crawl space?"  Y'all, I hate going in the crawl space.  It's a creepy, dirt floor, brick wall, spider filled, cobweb filled, 1920's crawl space.  But I went down there with him because having my internet work is important to me. 

Then he had to go back out to his truck to get a flashlight because the two little lightbulbs down there were not providing enough light.  So I stood in there all alone and totally scared myself looking at all of the spiders everywhere.  I must have told him 348976 times how much I hate being in there so finally he said, "why don't you go back in your house.  I don't like being in here either, but just leave me the keys and I'll lock up."  And I almost hugged and kissed him on the spot.  He didn't have to say it twice.

It took him 2 hours to fix my internet, y'all.  He had to install all new wiring (cable?  I don't know how the internet works) for the entire system because it was really messed up bad.  So he had to work in the crawl space, then on the side of my house up on a ladder, up on a pole, and in my living room.  But it works now.  While he was there, I told him some issues I was having with my cable and he fixed that too!  That part only took him about 10 minutes.

After he left something completely crazy happened.....

I cooked.  A lot.

I cooked for almost 4 hours and I HATE cooking.  But since Daisy Jane's Dough Drain has been breaking for the past 6 months every single dadgum time I turn around, I have got to stop eating lunch out at work every day.  I simply can't afford to be lazy.  And I absolutely do not cook at night when I get home from work.  So I made all of my lunches and dinners for the week so that I can save some money and not eat cereal or cheese and crackers for dinner each night.  And then I passed out from exhaustion and hatred of cooking. 

An hour later my hippie landscaper friend called.

She came over around 3:30 and we trimmed some of the trees in my yard for about an hour and a half.  But before we finished everything we started out saying we were going to do, we decided that going and drinking margaritas sounded like way more fun.  So we did.  We each had one margarita and I've had a headache ever since.  ONE margarita.  I'm old, y'all.

Me and my raging, pounding headache got back home around 7:00 and then Hot Brazilian called about 20 minutes later.  When I went to visit him, we were in the Amazon in a fairly backwards town.  It's the capital city of a state on the border of Venezuela, very few places had air conditioning, very few restaurants even had indoor seating (actually only one we went to was indoors), the people are quite poor, etc.  He called me last night from a place about 200 miles further into the jungle than that.  And he told me that I would hate everything about it.  He was in an internet cafe and we were talking over the speakers because he didn't have headphones with him and apparently everyone in there was looking at him, whispering, eyes wide in amazement, because (1) he is 6'4" and towers over the Amazonian people (I'm 5'4" and I towered over a large portion of the men when I was down there and now I don't understand why people talk about tall and/or big people being Amazons) and (2) he was speaking in English and they could hear me speaking back to him in English and no one there knows English and they probably don't really hear it spoken there ever.  We only talked for about 15 minutes before he said, "Dahling, I must go now.  The floor is covered in thousands of ants, Punkin'.  I must leave here."  So he's right.  I would totally hate that place.  He and another guy were driving back last night to the slightly less backwards capital city so he said he'll try to call me again from there tonight so we can talk longer without ants.  Their drive was 200 miles through jungle roads so he said it would take them about 6 hours.  Ugh.  I'm no math whiz, but I think that averages out to about 30 or 35 mph, right?

So yes, that was my weekend of doing nothing yet not sitting down until about 8:00 last night.  Which caused me to immediately fall asleep and then I woke up at 10:30 and thought I had been asleep all night long already.

Okay, let's move onward.  Time for the Music Monday Contest.

Since much all of my weekend activities outside of my house involved food (breakfast, grocery store, Mexican and margaritas), this week's theme is food.  The title(s) of the song(s) you submit must contain a specific food, drink, condiment or food in general.

Can't wait to see what y'all come up with!

Oh, I mentioned recently Hot Brazilian ordering in restaurants and Amish Annie asked me about it in the comments.  Since we're talking about food, this seems like a good time to tell y'all.  Yes, I had a margarita yesterday but I very rarely drink.  Hot Brazilian NEVER drinks.  He's had one beer in his entire life and he's in his mid-40's.  He doesn't drink, but he LOVES joking around and making people laugh.  He makes me laugh all the time.  When we go out and get seated, and the server asks us what we want to drink this is what he almost always does (and imagine it in a very thick Brazilian accent):

HB:   Do you have beer?

S:   Yes.

HB:  Do you have vodka?

S:  Yes.

HB:  Do you have tequila?

S:  Yes.

HB:  What kind?

S:   (Rattles off the kinds they have)

HB:  Do you have margaritas?

S:  Yes.

HB:  Frozen?

S:  Yes.

HB:  Do you have wine?

S:  Yes.

HB:  Do you have rum?

S:  Yes.

HB:  Okay then, I would like a giant glass of water with LOTS and LOTS of lemon then.

Mostly the servers start cracking up.  But some of them are jerks and probably spit in our food.

8 comments:

  1. Favorite Food Song: Salad of Doom by SJ Tucker

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa7bfeXWQeU&feature=colike

    Favorite Alcohol Song: Only the Tequila Talking

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8V5gP0hQs&feature=colike

    More obscure songs courtesy of my on-again/off-again podcasting hobby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my list of food & drink songs:

    Cheeseburger in Paradise

    Margaritaville

    Pina Colada Song

    Red Red Wine

    Sugar, Sugar

    You say tomatoe, I say tomahh=to, let's call the whole thing off.

    You put the lime in the coconut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lisa Pie. The tomato/tomahto song reminds me of a story my younger brother told me. He and his girlfriend went to a school choral thing (I can't remember if her daughter was in it or some family member or what), and that was one of the songs. But apparently the director was young and had never heard that song before so they sang the entire thing as "You say tomato, I say tomato. You say potato, I say potato," where they sounded exactly the same both times. He about died laughing just trying to tell us the story. I cannot imagine witnessing it live.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! That last sentence, I about died. That's why I told my Mama once, when we finally got in the car, after she was acting out at the bank, she better be nice to the people that handle her money, her health care and her food, because they ALL have her life in their hands.

    Old MacDonald Had a Farm...that about covers all the food arena.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I wish I were an Oscar Mayer wiener.
    God Didn't Make Little Green Apples.
    One Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall.
    Cool Clear Water.
    There's a Tear in my Beer.
    Yes We Have No Bananas.
    Spill the Wine.
    Beans, Beans, the Musical Fruit.


    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banana Boat (day-o, daylight come and "I" wanna go home) - Harry Belafonte (This song always reminds me of the great scene at the dinner party in Beetlejuice.)
    The Candy Man (the candy man can) - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Cherry, Cherry - Neil Diamond
    Do The Clam - Elvis Presley
    Honey - Bobby Goldsboro
    Jambalaya - Carpenters
    Mashed Potato Time - Dee De Sharp
    One Bad Apple - The Osmonds
    Polk Salad Annie - Tony Joe White (and Elvis Presley)
    Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles
    Sugar Shack - Jimmy Gilmer & the Fireballs
    Sunshine, Lollipops & Rainbows - Lesley Gore

    I think I have succeeded in finding songs from way before you were even born. Wait! You may have heard of a couple of these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beverly!

    OMG you made me laugh with the brazilian story. Well I came here for another reason but I will contribute with a food song....The Candy Man

    and ,
    I just wanted to thank you for your participation on the Hip Hip Hurray Giveaway in KRR's blog. I was delighted reading the comments. Thanks for the sweet comment. Also i wanted to tell you that I am offering three scholarships and you can apply signing up for the newsletter and sending me an email. (check me resent post on my blog). Also I am offering a 20% discount for all the participants on the giveaway who register by August 25, 2012. Isn't this awesome?

    I hope you can join me in this creative adventure!!

    ReplyDelete