Friday, August 10, 2012

The ol' money sucker has a moniker.

Oh, hi y'all.

It's Friday and I'm finally back.  One piece of good news is that I get to leave work over an hour early today because we're not allowed to have overtime and if I don't leave early I will have overtime.  This is mostly because one of my bosses had me stay an hour and fifteen minutes late to work on something that he just had to have that night.  And then he didn't even open the email I sent him with the document until after 3:00 the next afternoon.  Happy is what I was about that.  I stay happy with this particular boss most of the time.  (That's a complete lie.  And no, it's not the one with all of the packages.  Well, packages to be sent out.  He doesn't have multiple packages that I'm aware of.)  But I do get to leave early and hopefully that means I will avoid the worst of Atlanta's Friday evening rush hour which makes one feel really stabby.

Here is a photo I took a couple of days ago when I was trying to get out of my building after work:



That license plate says "ITSFAST" if you can't see it. And if you can't, perhaps you should go get some glasses.  Also, if you can't see it in the photo, you probably also can't see this caption explaining it.  Can't y'all see how fast she's (yes, that car was driven by a woman even though for whatever reason that seems to me like something a guy would put on a car) moving in Atlanta traffic? She couldn't even get out on the main road from our parking deck. That blue thing in my dashboard? That's from where Laurie and I parked somewhere when she was here in Atlanta 24 years ago and I've been too lazy to take it out and throw it away.
 In other news, this week we only had to send out approximately 350 overnight packages so I felt like I was on vacation.  Not.  Our paralegal did return from her leave on Tuesday so I did have help with them after the 165 I sent out on Monday.

Also, I finally found 10 minutes to call and make an appointment so I can hopefully blog from home soon.  I have Comcast coming out at 8:00 on Sunday morning to try and figure out why my internet is making my hair stand up out of complete frustration.  And today I found out two other friends are having the same problem with their Comcast internet.  So maybe something is going on around here.  That's my expert opinion anyway.

This weekend two girls I grew up with wanted to come over and cook dinner at my house and hang out.  Which is awesome since I hate to cook but love to eat.  They told me that the stories of things that happen in my life are very entertaining so they just wanted to listen to me while they cooked.  But now one of them is moving this weekend and that's so sad because I was going to tell them about the time I had to stick my hands down an old lady's pants in the lobby of my building before I had even had a cup of coffee.  Or I was going to tell them some of my nail salon stories.  Y'all, I run into the craziest people in nail salons.  I have nail salon stories involving hot dogs, pet tiger cubs, and then I became one of those crazy nail salon people when I tripped post-pedi and broke my arm.  I also have lots of crazy people encounters in elevators.  And in the convenience store in my building.  Well, everywhere it seems.  But those stories will have to wait.  I think the sister who is not moving is going to meet me to do something tomorrow but I don't know what or where yet.  But I'll bet I run into a crazy person at some point.  On Sunday my hippie landscaper friend and I are going to go drink margaritas.  After my internet is fixed obviously.  I don't drink much at all but especially not before 8:00 on a Sunday morning.  On a Tuesday morning, anything goes though.  Kidding.

Okay, so let's move on to the Music Monday Contest results.

Y'all had some great ideas for songs to help me name my house.  But sadly, none of them won.  For some reason, the name "Daisy" keeps speaking to me.  My great-grandmother's name was Daisy (I'm from the South remember.  Her husband was known as Wild Bill by everyone in Athens, Ga.  I should tell y'all the story of how he used to ride in a motorcycle side car when he was in his 90's and that's how he arrived at our family reunions.  Well, I guess I just told y'all that story actually.  Wild Bill liked to get his drink on.  A lot).  I love gerbera daisies, shasta daisies, I've planted gerbera and shasta daisies in my yard, etc. and I just feel like my house wants to have "daisy" in the name.  I don't really know why.

I don't know a lot about the history of my house other than it was built in 1920, the lady who owned it before me was a home appraiser and decorator, and before her a couple bought it for their drug addict son in hopes it would turn his life around to have something he was responsible for.  Sadly, it didn't turn his life around so they converted it into a duplex and rented it out to college kids who apparently partied 7 nights a week, broke the columns on the house at some point, etc.  Then the appraiser/decorator bought it, lived in it for a little over 10 years and did tons of work to it and converted it back to a single family home.  Then the housing market crashed and since her career was completely tanked, she lost it to foreclosure.

So my home is now going to be named "Daisy Jane's Dough Drain".  Because it has completely drained my bank account.  And I do mean completely y'all.  On the days I like it, I'll simply call it Daisy Jane.  Sadie, Tee and Laurie.....if you're reading this do you think it fits my house since you've visited?

So this is the winning song.  And I honestly don't like this song very much because it kind of drags and makes me feel sad, but the name tugged at my heart and would not let go:  Daisy Jane by America.



But Second Place without a doubt goes to Karen for Roxanne.  Because I did imagine singing it every single time I talked about my house and the little bit about it being by the Police and me living in the 'hood made me laugh for hours.  It's making me laugh again right now just thinking about it.  And Sting.  Oh how I love him.  In fact, it will be my home's alternative name/nickname.  "Daisy Jane 'Roxanne' Dough Drain."  I like the sound of that.

Third Place is a tie.

Letha for Layla.  LOVE this song.....


And Tee for Sweet Georgia Brown.  But I only knew the Count Basie version so I've linked to it:


All of those other 1920's songs?  Didn't really know them but they did have good names.

If my internet gets fixed and anything interesting happens or y'all want to hear about Hot Brazilian's restaurant ordering I mentioned earlier this week or something else, I'll try and post over the weekend.  Hope everyone has a relaxing couple of days off.  I'll be dreaming of packages probably.  Oh, speaking of dreams, I had an awful one last night.  It was not one continuous dream but more a series of vignettes of a bunch of things that were unrelated except for the fact that they all made me cry.  Nice dream, huh?  I looked up the meaning and it means I'm repressing negative thoughts in real life and they are releasing in my dreams.  Maybe I'll scream at someone this weekend and get that crap out of me.  I'll be sure to tell y'all about it if I do.

4 comments:

  1. I love Daisy Jane's Dough Drain. I envision this wonderfully sweet house that you love to pieces even though you spend $39479362075 a month just to keep it standing. Sweet Daisy Jane :)
    I'm glad you too must sing ROXANNE. I drove my kids crazy when they (I) got American Idol for the Wii one year for Christmas. Unfortunately (for them) it had Roxanne as a song choice. Yeah, I spent days walking around screaming ROOOOOOOXANNE......my family loved me :) Oh, almost forgot - I saw the Police in concert back in the 80's. AWESOME show. Sadly they did not invite me on stage to sing Roxanne.
    Best of luck with Comcast. Enjoy those 9 a.m. 'ritas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy Jane is perfect, especially with the connection to your great-grandmother and your love of daisies. Let's hope she stops being a Dough Drain. Good luck with Comcast. Hope they can solve your internet problem. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great name! Just be sure to plant some daisies in your front yard to go along with her name. If you ever find out the name of the original owners you could add their last name. Say the Burch family (I made that up) was the original owners of the house she could be named Daisy Jane Burch. Let's hope you can drop the Dough Drain part of her name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daisy Jane is perfect, love it!

    So what's up with Hot Brazilian and his restaurant ordering peccadilloes?

    ReplyDelete