Monday, June 18, 2012

Yes, I'm going to mention sister wives again in a post

My weekend was not nearly as exciting as June's.  I didn't have a huge man threaten me, nor did I see any celebrities.

I did get together with a friend of mine that I've known since first grade.  We lost touch when my family moved out of our neighborhood just before I went into seventh grade, and then we reconnected on facebook several years ago.  Reconnecting with people from your past is one of the most awesome things about facebook.  Although sometimes it's the worst part of it. 

I knew my friend had a motorcycle, but everytime we've gotten together so far she has been in her regular car.  My friend is so not the type you would imagine to be a biker and, therefore, I had always imagined she had some super girly motorcycle and probably had a pink helmet or something.  Imagine my surprise when she pulled in my driveway wearing a black helmet, on a black bike, and it was one of those loud, manly sounding things with leather bags on the side.  She parked it in my garage while we went to bum around an area of Atlanta called Oakhurst, and she was all distraught when we got back and she discovered her bike had leaked some oil in my garage.  Y'all, it was a spot about the size of a quarter and she was going on like my garage had been flooded in black oil.  I'm a little more upset about the white paint that has been in my backyard grass from the contractors that worked on my house 6 months ago than a quarter sized spot of oil in my garage.

Yesterday I had some of my family over for Father's Day.  While he was there, my older brother broke into the lock box where the controls for my sprinkler system are located because I didn't get a key for it when I bought the house.  And then he was trying to get my sprinkler system working and guess what?  It won't come on.  I'm so glad because I needed something else to get fixed at my house.  I mean it had been a whole week since I spent $1,200 on a new air conditioner coil and freon.  I was kind of missing paying for something to be repaired.  Gah.  This house is going to kill me.  But then I think my niece felt sorry for me or maybe she was super bored sitting with all of us old people on the front porch eating dessert so she offered to water all of my flowers.  And obviously I took her up on it.  When she was about half done I could tell she was regretting her offer so I told her I would finish it later.  But she said she had to finish what she had started.  I got a little tear in my eye because she's finally growing up.  Then she squirted me with the hose a little bit and I realized she really hasn't. 

See?  My weekend.  Full of not very exciting things.  Oh yeah, I went to the grocery store too because I'm wild and crazy.  And I had a very bizarre dream that I went to Vegas while wearing a wedding gown on the airplane and a girl in our marketing department and I both married my boss and became sister wives and we spent our wedding night in a hotel room with a young family of 3 while our new husband was out having his bachelor party (after we were all married) and I laid in bed in my wedding dress with the father of the family and we watched tv while his wife laid in bed with my sister wife.  I'm pretty sure I should not take Advil PM ever again.  And I realize this is the second time the whole sister wives thing has come up in the short life of this blog, but I promise I have zero interest in pursuing any such thing.

Tomorrow evening I have a college student coming by that may rent a room from me this Fall.  See:  paying for house repairs is killing me dead.  And there is a VERY slight possibilty that HB's son may be coming and staying with me soon.  So if I have a teenage Brazilian soccer player and a nursing grad-student staying with me I will hopefully have more exciting things happen to tell y'all about than having dreams that I marry my boss and become a sister wife.

But let's move on to the Music Monday Contest because one of my bosses just got back from a week's vacation in Mexico and we have a ton of work to do today and I need to get on it.  I'm sure he's jealous that he didn't spend his vacation the way I spent my dream time in Vegas, but too bad for him. 

My life has been completely consumed with home repairs for the past 6 months (well, other than being consumed by a broken arm - did I tell y'all my doctor told me that even though I'm already 4 months into this ordeal that they consider me to be at the very beginning of the healing process because my break was so bad?  OMG).  So this week's songs must contain a word in the title associated with a house.  It can be anything - floors, walls, paint, a refrigerator, the house itself.  As always, I have a few songs in mind already. 

Let's see what y'all come up with!

22 comments:

  1. Brick House by the Commodores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Money for Nothing by the Dire Straits (got to move these refrigerators)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Yep, that's my entry, too. It's even my home phone's ring tone on my cell (we actually do have two cats in the yard).

      Delete
  4. Loved My Big Fat Sister Wives Wedding dream and also your niece-what a sweaty...hehe! Sorry you have another money sucking repair to deal with.

    I will sit this one out, after my big win last week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. House of the Rising Sun, by The Animals

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
    Lookin' Out My Back Door- Creedence Clearwater Revival

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lastly-

    Up On The Rooftop - yanno, with old St. Nick. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, this is the last one-

    Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gonna be a real challenge choosing winners this week, Beverly- these songs are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life in a Glass House by Radiohead.

    Try putting some Dawn liquid dishwashing detergent on that oil spot, if you are interested in getting it up. If not, forget I brought this up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Or you could change the title and make up your own lyrics, "Life in an Old House".

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Another Brick in the Wall" Pink Floyd, album The Wall


    I might get dropped off in Atlanta. Want company if I do? Probably won't happen but he might surprise me.

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pink Houses by John Cougar.

    I love your neighborhood stories, Beverly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, for the love of all that is sane, please do not take ANY more Advil PM! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ring My Bell (Pointer Sisters???)

    Home (Michael Buble--we needed some culture up in here)

    Gimme 3 Steps (so much for culture)

    And it's not in the title of the song, but Dimming of the Day by Richard & Linda Thompson, the first line: This old house, is falling down around my ears.

    ReplyDelete